There are options for everyone – from just coffee and toast at a local café to a variety of full-service breakfast options at unique restaurants. On Sundays many from greater San Juan and surrounding towns come to the old city for breakfast and to attend mass. For this reason, restaurants and cafeterias tend to be packed on Sunday mornings. Things are calmer during the week, where you find city residents, students, tourists, and local employees enjoying a nice breakfast.
- La Mallorca – American and Puerto Rican Breakfast, locals’ favorite pastries, fresh orange juice and smoothies. Try their “mallorca de jamón y queso.”
310 San Francisco Street, Old San Juan, PR 00901
Monday – Sunday 7:00 am – 6:00 pm
- Café Finca Cialitos – Local, “Sanjuanero” owned café. Its specialties are coffee/espresso, lite breakfast, and a quiet and relaxing atmosphere.
267 San Francisco Street, Old San Juan, PR 00901
Tuesday – Friday 7:30 am – 4:30 pm
Saturday – Monday 8:30 am – 5:30 pm
- El Meson – Probably Puerto Rico’s best and most famous fast-food restaurant; it has terrific breakfast options; try their cubano, medianoche or delicioso sandwiches! Vegetarian friendly.
163 San Jose Street, Old San Juan, PR 00901
Monday – Sundays 6:00 pm – 10:00 pm
- La Bombonera – Iconic Café in Old San Juan, that recently opened after major building renovations. Beautiful location and amazing coffee.
259 San Francisco Street, Old San Juan, PR 00901
Tuesdays – Sundays 7:30 pm – 5:00 pm
- CafiCultura – Up-scale corner café with creative breakfast cuisine and sophisticated espresso options. We recommend this place for serious espresso-lovers, but watch out, it’s usually packed and it could be difficult to get a table.
401 San Francisco Street, Old San Juan, PR 00901
Monday – Sunday 8:00 am – 6:00 pm
- Carthage Express – “A unique restaurant famous for the train that brings you its Shawarma Mediterranean food if you sit at the counter.”
201B San Justo St, Old San Juan, PR 00901
Monday – Sunday 12:00 pm -12:00 am
- Waffle-Era Tea Room – Don’t expect to have better waffles and tea anywhere else on the island. This creative restaurant is one of the locals’ favorites as you get to choose from almost a hundred different types of waffles. Try a flambé waffle with appealing toppings and your favorite type of tea. This trendy place exhibits a unique theater ambiance with awesome food.
201B San Jose Street, Old San Juan, PR 00901
Monday – Sunday 8:30 am – 3:00 pm
- Manolín – The place is a Creole restaurant that has been serving locals and visitors to Old San Juan for around 60 years. It is an old school restaurant with a old school theme, vibe, and personal service. The diner’s U shaped counters are also a little unique.
251 San Justo Street, Old San Juan, PR 00901
Monday – Friday 6:00 am – 4:30 pm
Saturday 7:00 am – 4:30 pm
Sunday 8:00 am – 5:00 pm