Old San Juan is a gastronome’s delight. With so many choices, you could eat at a different place for each meal for a week and still not even come close to visiting all of the many restaurants. There are so many to choose from and we are here to help you narrow it down to the best Old San Juan has to offer. Here are our top 5 picks for breakfast. Please note that during the pandemic, restaurants are only open at 30% capacity and in some cases may only be offering takeout.
- La Mallorca – American and Puerto Rican Breakfast, locals’ favorite pastries, fresh orange juice and smoothies. Try their “mallorca de jamón y queso.”
- Waffle-Era Tea Room – Don’t expect to have better waffles and tea anywhere else on the island. This creative restaurant is one of the locals’ favorites as you get to choose from almost a hundred different types of waffles. Try a flambé waffle with appealing toppings and your favorite type of tea. This trendy place exhibits a unique theater ambiance with awesome food.
- CafiCultura – Up-scale corner café with creative breakfast cuisine and sophisticated espresso options. We recommend this place for serious espresso-lovers.
- El Mercado de la Carreta – Great for coffee, brunch, mimosas, and breakfast. We recommend seating by the front window for a view of Plaza Barandilla.
- Spiga – This is a small shop and can be easily missed, awesome local bread and breakfast options.